Information for Students Thinking About Graduate Studies in Economics
- What the current young economics PhD stars are producing as grad students (circa Winter 2014).
- Greg Mankiw provides a useful list of advice for graduate students in economics. Like a good economist, he applies the principle of comparative advantage in doing so. Here is more from him on Math and economics. And here are his rules of thumb.
- Everything you need to know about applying for the PhD, and proceeding with your life as a PhD student, including tips on getting your dissertation underway, how to use LaTex and more.
- A new (2014) book on getting your PhD in Economics written by a graduate from a Top 5 department.
- You knew this was coming … Economics Job Market Rumors. I am sure there are Facebook groups popping up too.
- The problem with macroeconomics.
- 2008 Southern Economic Journal ranking of graduate programs, and where George Mason fits in.
- Here is an online resource dedicated to those interested in PhD study.
- Economics Woman advises undergraduates on how to prepare.
- What you are getting yourself into … Life Among the Econ
- Here is Bryan Caplan’s take on why getting an Economics PhD is almost like getting a FREE LUNCH!
- For a sampling of current labor market opportunities, both within and outside of academia, check out the main job site for PhD economics. This is called the “JOE” or “Job Openings for Economists” and is sponsored by the American Economic Association.
- Here is a great page by Chris Silvey, from my graduate alma mater, about Becoming an Economist
- Here is another great page, this time from Keith Gamble at Berkeley
- A discussion board at the Princeton Review
- Tyler Cowen telling you to “just publish baby” (stop procrastinating here) and (here)
- A PhD Comic Strip!
- Arnold Kling recommends a research path for new and aspiring PhD students.
- Job market advice for newly minted PhDs.
- Signaling once you are “on the market”
- A massive new job resource for economists
Some Interesting Research Papers About Graduate School
- How being married affects your graduate school progress by Joseph Price of Cornell U.
Programs to Help Prepare you for PhD Study