Talk about Straw manning it. Hilariously, Matthews links to the highly debatable Cook paper where the 97% claim comes from. But that’s not really the point. The point, yet again, is that for such an enlightened, leading, scientific, research and data oriented website as Vox claims to be, is totally and horrendously disingenuous when it is calling people “Deniers.” That garbage is the stuff of hundreds-deep blog comments in extremist sites, but for a “first class news organization?” Really? Are they really running with a big story that is arguing that the “Denier” position is that the Earth is not warming? Are they really running with a big story that is arguing that the “Denier” position is that people have nothing to do with it?
By the way, I look forward to the next Vox post showing a room full of people, 99 of which arguing that trade is good debating a single soul arguing the opposite. Or the subsequent post showing the 99.999 scientists debating 0.001 scientists who deny the safety of GMO foods. Here’s some help on the “GMO Consensus.” (HT to Jayson Lusk for the references)
- Safety of Genetically Engineered Foods: Approaches to Assessing Unintended Health Effects, National Academies Press, 2004. http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309092094
- American Dietetic Association (ADA), “Position of the American Dietetic Association: Agricultural and Food Biotechnology,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 106 no. 2, (2006): 285-93. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16442880
- American Medical Association, Recommendations of Council on Scientific Affairs Reports, AMA Interim Meeting, 2000, http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/csaph/x-pub/csai-00.pdf
- United Nations, Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), position statement on biotechnology, http://www.isaaa.org/kc/Publications/htm/articles/Position/fao.htm
- World Health Organization (WHO), “Safety Aspects of Genetically Modified Foods of Plant Origin: A Joint FAO/WHO Consultation on Foods Derived from Biotechnology,” Geneva, Switzerland, May 29-June 2, 2000, http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/ae584e/ae584e00.htm
I’m embarrassed to say that I care enough to have posted.